- There is a war against intellect, and stupidity is winning.
- We live in an era where Public Service Announcements are given on how to spot fake news because, for far too many, it’s not obvious that the information is untrue.
- People buy and share images of Santa Claus and snowmen as members of the nativity, yet cannot understand the irony, and their ignorance, when they declare that there is a “War On Christmas”.
- We live in a nation where the individual who wins the most votes for president does not win the election.
- In the last quarter century, 6 out of the last 7 elections, the Democrat has won the most votes, yet won only 4 of those elections.
- A man walks into a pizzeria with an assault weapon, looking to break up a supposed child sex operation, ran by Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, that was being conducted in the torture dungeon of the restaurant’s basement.
- Of course none of this was remotely true, but that didn’t stop the man from traveling hundreds of miles and firing his weapon inside the restaurant, which, on the most basic factual element, didn’t even have a basement.
- This conspiracy was even peddled by Michael G. Flynn, former member of Trump’s transition team and son of Trump’s pick for National Security Adviser, Michael T. Flynn. The elder Flynn has also openly touted multiple fabricated stories.
I don’t claim to be perfect or that I have all the answers. However, I do my homework and I’ll admit when I’m wrong. I make no apologies for trying to seek out the truth and I most certainly do not apologize for doing all that I can to point my moral compass towards the direction that makes no distinction between bigots and those who enable them.
Research has shown that many who believe in falsehoods are much more likely to continue believing in those falsehoods with more conviction when presented with evidence that they are incorrect. No one wants to be proven wrong, but at some point we have to address factual inaccuracies. The world is not flat. Facts don’t care if we like them or not, they are still facts. The same goes for those who want to give a pass to people who claim not to be racists or bigots, yet enable the bigots and xenophobes with at best, indifference, or at worst, their most precious democratic right, their vote. I wrote about this topic a few weeks ago. The bottom line is that we have reached a point to where there is an all out assault on reason. Now is not the time for complacency or an acceptance of ignorance just to pacify the enablers of misinformation and bigotry. Now is the time for action by all those who believe that the truth should prevail and that facts are not a mere inconvenience, but the foundation of a functioning human society.